Friday 14 June 2013

Work Experience - My path

What a whirl-wind ride I have been on - taking on the adventure to move to England, have no job prospects, only a specific amount of money and 2 suitcases. At first I was terrified and scared that it was going to take me forever to get a job.  I thought with having a MA degree from a UK accredited University would secure a job for me right away - well I was wrong!

As a foreigner it has been quite the roller coaster applying for jobs because I am competing against natives , other foreigners and EU people.  I don't know why it took me 3ish months to find a job when I have a great work experience and education background. - but I did it! With the help of networking through my Twitter community and doing various Google searches I stumbled upon NRG. I had the opportunity of meet Alison Jobson during my informal interview and got registered right away. She has a very bubbly personality and is easy to talk to.

Once I met Alison I told her that I was interested in positions in Durham or Newcastle - and starting mid September I was at Durham University (major company/organization) in Durham! I was very happy and thrilled that I wouldn't have to spend ages on multiple buses or getting the metro from the train station. It is just a 20 minute bus ride into Durham and a 10ish minute walk. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

My first job I was placed on was at the International Office.  I assisted the study abroad and exchanges team but also worked various other projects for other team members. Everyone welcomed me with open arms and wanted to know my story - a very relaxing, fun environment indeed! I made good friends with a few ladies and continue to stay in contact with them via email and meet with them over lunch.  I also was able to attend my first English Christmas Party Lunch - this was a nice elegant meal served by the restaurant in the Palatine building - on the plates were crackers, which I have seen before but are not as common back home. 

My next job started middle of January - at Durham Student Union working in the Finance Department. Unlike Durham University the atmosphere seemed more casual and relaxed - I guess mainly because it is for the students. At first I remember I was nervous because I didn't really have a finance background - but Claire and Stacey my colleagues showed me the ropes of the job.  In the Finance department there only consisted of 4-5 other employees so it was a good atmosphere to get to know everyone. I became good friends with a woman named Deborah, who works on a PT basis, but is very cool! Even though she isn't my age - I get along with her so well! She kept me company during lunches etc. I continue to stay in contact with her and meet up from time to time even though I am not at the DSU anymore. 

My most current job started middle of May with Access and Student Recruitment, funny enough they share an office with the International Office. On my first day (when some are nervous) I was excited to see everyone again. I met with Jen who was one of my supervisors and she introduced me to everyone and showed me my desk. Now everything seems a blur - I have been helping out with getting Open Days materials ready, filling big brown envelopes for UCAS fairs etc. My last day in June 21st and will take my experience and smile on having this opportunity!

Onwards I go - Just like a bird - Flying high and squawking along!!



No comments:

Post a Comment