Tuesday 18 June 2013

Stroke - Faint - Pass Out : How do we determine this?




Every morning I ride the purple bus into Durham for work – usually the bus is either on time or late.  Today it was late but I was patient enough to wait.  I like to sit towards the front of the bus – I guess so I can get off right away.  Well today was a day I won’t forget – As we approached Durham a girl – I want to say in her teens passed out cold. She was sitting next to another woman who was quite alarmed and didn’t really know what to do – except hold this girls body and say ‘everything is going to be alright’.  A passenger that sat across from me went up to the bus driver to stop and call 999. I could tell everyone was feeling shaky and worried.  I didn’t know what to do – but my first instinct was to ask – is there a medical professional? But nobody replied. A friend of this girl said these episodes happen often – he didn’t really know why.  The bus driver pulled over to the nearest stop and opened the door.  A young man sitting next to me helped pick up her body and I collected her purse – he brought her outside. She laid flat on the pavement with 2 of her college friends. I am not sure how long she was out for but this was a very scary moment for me!

As a citizen of the world this could have happened anywhere! I felt the need to help out - even though I have not been trained or know any medical terminology.   How can we tell the difference if this was a stroke or cardiac arrest etc? I don't have the answer.  A coworker of mine mentioned I should contact the Red Cross - and I might do so. 

If I can help save a life or at least try that will make me smile.

When I got off the bus and walked past a few shops I saw the young man opening up the shop where he worked and I said thanks for helping her out! I am happy there are good people in the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment