Saturday 29 September 2012

September 29 2012

Good morning friends ::waves:: wow it has been over a week since my last blog post. Sorry but since I have been working life has been a bit busy but I am here finally! to report to you about my job, what I do, and other stuff.

Workplace Summary
As in my previous post I mentioned that this is through a temp agency here in the Northeast of England and they have placed me on a 2 week assignment at Durham University. My job is Monday to Friday -  9am to 5pm with an hour lunch.  This week started off a little rough as the agency gave me the wrong address for the building (as the international office recently moved but didn't let agency know) - so luckily enough I made it 5 minutes before my assignment started. I know superstar right? That day I was in a huge rush/flustered/especially since it was raining and I didn't find anyone on the street to ask for directions. This week I have been working on stuffing welcome packs for new international students, which meant middle of this week a few paper cuts :( but nothing major. On Friday we hosted an international Fair where sponsors such as banks, libraries and other University services met students and informed them about their services.  Then later in the afternoon I helped out Melissa (my boss) in the informational sessions in the lecture theater.

Tuesday
This was quite the day because in GB (Great Britain) we got dumped with lots of rain - which meant flooding as an end result.  Every morning Craig drops me off at the bus stop (since I don't have a car to drive *sniffle*) and on that morning I waited over 1 hour for my bus - it never came and I was quite worried. An exchange student from Germany was also at the bus stop with me and was going to college - and a big purple bus going to Sunderland passed us and said a bridge collapsed because of the flooding. So we walked to her homestay family and the father drove us. I know my parents say never to get in a strangers car but I really had no choice but to go with her as a taxi could take forever to pick me.  I also called my new best friend Kate to call the International Office to let them know I would be late as I didn't have their phone number.  I only got to work 30 minutes late but everything was ok as other people had difficulty getting into work as well.
Here is the news article about flash flooding - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/torrential-rain-causes-chaos-as-rail-roads-and-properties-are-hit-by-most-intense-september-storm-for-30-years-8179512.html

Rest of week
 Nothing else really new to report - I have exchanged my money for Euros for my Paris trip to see my parents next weekend. Better get going to apply for more jobs and figure out what I should pack for my trip (as I don't want to do it all last minute) especially since I am going on a coach journey with Durham Uni international students to Newcastle :D on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment