Monday 20 May 2013

When I grow Up

A few days ago I was listening to a radio program about people calling to mention what they wanted to be when they grew up. Gosh I can recall so many different jobs - a vet, teacher, a Radio DJ when I was in high school or even be a world traveler writing shoestring on a budget books for young adults. Any of these positions I would have loved to go into but either it wouldn't pay enough or it would require math/science (which I don't like!). Since I graduated from Augsburg I have worked in various industries: telecommunications, legal services, higher education, a CPA firm, social media agency, and various self employment.  I thought it was fun trying out various jobs to see what I would like - but I am still trying to find that position that scream "Katie this job is for you!" Does that job exist? In 2011 I started my own dog sitting business, YourpuppyNanny and even though I didn't have a lot of clients - I had a passion for dogs and taking care of them. Ok I didn't thrive with loads of cash - but I was happy! When I was a nanny watching other people's kids that was a blast! But that didn't foot the bills as my parents would probably say. I can say one thing I am doing now that I am PASSIONATE about is continuing my social media work for SocialNicole LLC.

I have come to that point of time in my life - where I think I should start focusing on saving for my retirement and be financially responsible.  Never in my life have I bought elaborate things. I am always careful with my money - I always pay off my credit card and continue to pay my student loans. 

But when does it come in life where you want to follow your passion - but it doesn't pay great. I don't know how my parents would think of that. In America you need to secure a good job to have great healthcare and 401K etc.

Sometimes I wonder what if I did this again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment